Zoey blouse

Such a classic shape.

As part of my recent collaboration with the lovely ladies at Atelier Jupe, I was gifted a pattern of my choice from their range. Their garments are simple, wearable and very chic, so choosing just one to make was tricky! I tend to mostly sew dresses and I rarely wear trousers other than jeans, so I opted for the Zoey blouse for a bit of a change and to give the separates section of my wardrobe a boost.

A drapey viscose is the perfect match for this pattern.

Another reason for choosing Zoey was this fabric! I bought it at The Sewing Space in October and had been unsure what to use it for, but as soon as I saw the blouse I knew it would be a perfect match. It is a rayon by Moda and funnily enough I have used the same design on cotton in a quilt! The soft navy background looks beautiful combined with the subtle pink and turquoise and the little flecks of metallic gold make it extra special. I knew I would have to handle the fabric very carefully as the white base would make it prone to snagging and running – a brand new 70/10 needle and entomology pins really minimised this, but it did not escape completely unscathed.

I love how the relaxed fit still looks smart.

Choosing a size to make was easy because for once my bust, waist and hip measurements all fit the same column on the chart – how exciting! The size 8 is perfect for me – the only slight change I made was to take about 2cm off the hem to suit my own preference. I love the relaxed fit of the blouse and how smart it looks even though it is fairly loose, thanks to the pretty gathered sleeves and V-neckline details.

Pretty gathering into the cuffs.

The blouse is a very easy pattern – a front bodice with bust darts, a back bodice, sleeves, cuffs and a front and back neckline facing. I thought it would be a super quick project to make until I actually opened the paper pattern… I hadn’t realised that I would need to trace the pattern pieces and add the seam allowances! This took me an evening to do and I actually found it quite difficult – I have only ever added seam allowances to a pattern once before and the table/diagrams in the instructions that explained the process were a bit confusing – I’m still not sure if my bust dart is right! Although the sewing itself is very straightforward, I wouldn’t recommend this pattern to a novice sewist for this reason.

Such a good pattern and fabric combination!

I really love my finished blouse and I think it’s something I will wear a lot when ‘jeans and a nice top’ is a dress code again! A simple but special blouse that only uses 1.5m of fabric is a really useful pattern to have in your stash, especially one that fits perfectly and is traced/cut out and ready to sew. A big thank you to the team at Atelier Jupe for gifting me a pattern of my choice to try out!

Leave a Reply