This is my slightly hacked Wilder Gown by Friday Pattern Company and I absolutely freaking LOVE IT!
I first made a Wilder top back in June from some pretty double gauze – I wore it a lot during the summer, but I felt it was a little on the small side. Making another version of the Wilder was always on the cards and I have been low-key keeping my eye out for the perfect fabric ever since – well, last week I found it!
I have been meaning to visit Emporia Fabric and Crafts for absolutely ages – I always try to support Kent based businesses and it was about time I took a trip down the M20 to sunny Ashford! Emporia is run by the lovely Clair and Charlotte and they got in touch recently to ask if I would like to try out their latest pattern and choose a fabric from the shop – yes, please!
Events such as The Stitch Festival are really important for smaller shops to reach a wide range of customers and due to the pandemic causing all in-person events to be cancelled, businesses like Emporia have been finding new ways to promote their designs and stock. I know lots of people get tired of seeing ‘gifted’ products on their feeds, but reaching out to sewists and offering patterns and fabrics in return for promotion can really help smaller businesses in these difficult circumstances, so I was happy to help.
I was truly spoilt for choice at Emporia – their autumn range was bursting with gorgeous wool blends, ponte and cosy checks, but it didn’t take long for me to spot this beautiful stretch crepe. The background is a deep rusty red and it features a pretty small-scale fern print in a mustard/ochre colour. I quickly realised how perfect it would be for an autumnal Wilder Gown and I took 3 metres home with me!
I re-printed and re-cut my pattern in a size S and set about making a template for the skirt panels. I knew I wanted to make the two-tiered version, but I wanted my dress to be more knee-length than the two-tiered version in the pattern. I had a look through the hashtag on Instagram for inspiration and decided that reducing the tiers to about 2/3rds of the suggested length would give me the look I wanted. I made my template piece 13.5” by 30.5” – effectively removing 6” from the length and keeping the width the same.
I cut everything out on Thursday evening and after a ridiculously busy day at work on Friday, didn’t think I’d have any energy left to sew… I popped down to the dungeon to thread my machines and stitch a couple of seams and re-emerged several hours later with a finished bodice! I attached the skirt tiers and hemmed the dress after work on Saturday then spent a fair bit of time twirling around in it in front of the mirror, as you do.
The size S is absolutely perfect and I’m delighted with the length of the dress and the proportion of the tiers. The stretch crepe has worked brilliantly for the pattern – it’s quite weighty and has great drape, so the dress moves beautifully and has just the right amount of ‘swish’. The colours are really vibrant and the fabric was lovely to sew with – very well-behaved when cutting out and it went through my machines effortlessly. I thought gathering the skirt panels could potentially be problematic, but the fabric performed brilliantly in that test too!
If you haven’t sewn a Wilder Gown yet I thoroughly recommend adding it to your ‘to make’ list and while you’re at it have a little look at the Frida dress, which is the latest release by Emporia Patterns. I have ordered some gorgeous viscose from Sew Me Sunshine for my version, so look out for that on the blog soon!
Thanks again to Clair and Charlotte for giving me the fabric used in this post – I chose what to make and all thoughts and opinions are honest and my own. And in the interest of fun, here is a little behind the scenes shot…